Monday, April 29, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge - Z





For this year’s A-Z Challenge, I have chosen to highlight authors and their books, that we, in our book club, have read, as a group, separately  or have been recommended by someone in our facebook, Book Club, ‘What to Read Next?’

Well, here we are at our final letter. It's been an interesting Challenge and I've connected with some really nice bloggers. So, without further ado...

Z is for Zusak, Markus - The Book Thief


From Amazon:
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

It somehow seems appropriate that my last author tells a story about a young book thief who spreads the joy of reading to others, and in so doing, helps them during troubled times. We all read, to learn, to dream or to just get away from our own place in time, if only for a little while. 
If you'd like to check out or join our facebook, book club, please, select the link, What to Read Next?
Also considered:
Zenter, Alexit - Touch

16 comments:

  1. What a perfect end to the Challenge. Thank you for all the book suggestions this month and I love what you have said at the end of your post, I'm not sure about everyone else but for me, you have completely nailed the reasons I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to have stumbled upon this book. Already thinking of next year's challenge. Thanks for you kind words and support.

      Delete
  2. I love your topics for the month and will have to check out all your author posts.

    Congrats on finishing your A to Z!

    Barbara
    Z is for Zzz-z-z... and an SOS
    The Daille-y News

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara,
      Glad you like them.Thanks, it 'was' a challenge. :-) Come on over an join our on-line book club, then you won't miss out on what new books folks are reading. We'd also love to learn what you've been reading and what you recommend.

      Delete
  3. We have finally reached our "Z" word, and you have chosen an excellent author starting with "Z". Actually, The Book Thief sounds like something I would really enjoy.
    Thanks for taking the time to check out my site, and we will have to raise a glass to ourselves for having completed the sometimes challenging Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way back there it seems like a huge mountain ahead of us. We conquered the mountain!!
      Raising a glass now and another together with Monica, Saturday evening!!!

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing about THE BOOK THIEF. Gotta put that one on my to-read list.
    Congratulations on finishing the A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one I haven't actually read, but will definitely be going on my list. It's been a climb and certainly a challenge at times!!

      Delete
  5. That does sound like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good job, Kathy! I agree with Monica, u nailed it with y i read, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you kind comments. Are you in our on-line book club? Come & check it out.

      Delete
  7. A wonderful theme, enjoyed every postM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Claudia. I ran across someone else doing the exact same thing as I was doing, with better results, too, I might say.
      We'll have to come up with another challenge for the Summer.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on reaching the end of the challenge. That story sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. I haven't read it myself, but it does seem to be a good read. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Thanks for checking out my post!! I love reading your comments. Don't forget to include your link, so I can check out your post, too!