Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge 2013 -B




For this year’s A-Z Challenge, I have chosen to 
highlight some of the authors that we, in our book
club, have either read, as a group, separately, or have
been suggested,to us, from our on-line book club. 


B is for Bohjalian, Chris



This book was suggested by our on-line group.Thought I haven't actually read it, it sounds like one I would enjoy.


From Amazon:

The time is 1981, and Sibyl Danforth has been a dedicated midwife in the rural community of Reddington, Vermont, for fifteen years. But one treacherous winter night, in a house isolated by icy roads and failed telephone lines, Sibyl takes desperate measures to save a baby's life. She performs an emergency Caesarean section on its mother, who appears to have died in labor. But what if--as Sibyl's assistant later charges--the patient wasn't already dead, and it was Sibyl who inadvertently killed her?

As recounted by Sibyl's precocious fourteen-year-old daughter, Connie, the ensuing trial bears the earmarks of a witch hunt except for the fact that all its participants are acting from the highest motives--and the defendant increasingly appears to be guilty. As Sibyl Danforth faces the antagonism of the law, the hostility of traditional doctors, and the accusations of her own conscience, Midwives engages, moves, and transfixes us as only the very best novels ever do.


If you'd like to check out or join our on-line book club, please select the link What To Read Next.

Also considered:

Boo, Catherine - Behind the Beautiful Forevers
Behrens, Peter - Law of Dreams

19 comments:

  1. This is actually one of my wishes, to join a book club ... None in my town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then put the word out in your town and create one. We meet once a month from September to June. Each hosts a month and whomever suggests a book,(which is done in Sept., for the whole year) is the facilitator for that book. We discuss the book over a glass of wine and munchies, then finish up with tea or coffee and a sweet.
      In the meantime come over and join our on-line book club at "What to Read Next" on facebook. A link is at the bottom of each post.

      Delete
  2. That book sounds like it would be very interesting, it attracts the "nurse" in me. Great review of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the reason I picked it from the suggestions. It sounded like a good read. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Great sounding book! Thanks for the post. Best regards to you. Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who has had babies or a nursing background, I expect would find this book interesting. Thanks for stopping by my post.

      Delete
  4. I have always had a bit of a fascination with midwifery and this book sounds like it would be a very interesting read.
    Monica, Older Mommy Still Yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Monica, I think it would be a good read.

      Delete
  5. What about this one makes you want to read it, Kathy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a retired Registered Nurse, the dilemmia the main character faces, sounds like something I'd enjoy reading.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for visiting me. The two books sound interesting.
    Shirletta @ ShirleyIsNotMyName

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do sound interesting. Who knows one may just be chosen for our book club for next year.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an interesting read! Thanks for the 'B' day post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina for stopping by. I hope to get to read it soon.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very provocative subject matter. And interesting idea for a story.

    Rinelle Grey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rinelle for stopping by. I hope to read this one some day.

      Delete
  10. Another good choice of books. I have a feeling you and I like the same genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mz for stopping by. I though it sounded very interesting. With a nursing background, it was right up my alley!

      Delete

Thanks for checking out my post!! I love reading your comments. Don't forget to include your link, so I can check out your post, too!