Sunday, July 10, 2011

On Being A Grandma - A Series, July 10, 2011


Logan helping to add soil to the beet roots.
When my daughters were young, I always welcomed a chance to do a little teaching with them or their friends. Now that they’re grown, I have grandchildren for that.

I’m not a teacher by profession, but just love to teach. But even teachers have to obtain their knowledge somewhere. When we were selling at our local craft and produce market, the Hampton Market, I had the occasion to speak with a ‘real’ teacher. She told me about how she’d bought some beet greens, cut the greens off to use, planted the small beet roots back into the ground and they’d begun to sprout new leaves.

Blake helping to add soapy water to keep the bugs off.
So, I bought some, brought them home and did the same.

We were having two of our grandsons over for the night, so I took this as an opportunity to do some teaching with them.

If the beets get too big, I may need to re-plant them into the ground, but for now we’ll see how it goes.

My grandsons, Blake and Logan helped me plant and water the beets into a planter. It gave me the chance to teach about growing things and give them the opportunity to see something they’d planted, grow.


Kathy

6 comments:

  1. Great lesson in life Kathy. The years go by too fast, we have to take advantage of those times we have to teach children the magic of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing to do, they'll love watching the progress of the beets they planted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. I'm amazed at what my son learned helping his Dad. Even thought at the time it was a chore. He is always doing something himself at home that he learned from Jim.
    I find myself doing that now with my granddaughter. She ironed for the first time last summer and is a big help when I'm piecing quilt blocks. She does the seam pressing. Friday she helped prepare lasagna while I stood beside her, instructing. The only thing I did was add the Ricotta/Mozzarella mixture since I mixed it with my hand and my hand was coated in it. Next she made the salads that I served while I cut up onion, cucumber and grated the carrots.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is awesome that you are taking the time to teach your grandchildren! Thank you for sharing it on The Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind comments on,my post. I enjoy checking out all your great posts, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my post!! I love reading your comments. Don't forget to include your link, so I can check out your post, too!